Thursday, January 6, 2011

Prose Poem: One Large Dream

I always had a dream, of working at a veterinary clinic, I also dreamed of owning a veterinary clinic.
I worked at pet shops, equestrian barns, and for people, caring for animals.
Little by little, my dream will come true.
I knew my schooling would be long, at eight years minimum in college, but I knew college would be worth it and I could make it enjoyable.
I was never sure what college I wanted to go to until freshman year of high school, that being Oregon State University, one of the top schools in veterinary medicine.
My dreams continue to push me to strive in school.
Little by little, my dream will come true.
Sophomore year, I knew I needed to look more deeply into the veterinary career.
I looked for veterinary clinics that offered volunteer positions.
I found just that clinic in January of 2010, The Village Vet Animal Hospital, only two minutes from home.
Little by little, my dream will come true.
I worked for six months, a total of 115 hours, and earned half a high school credit for community service.
When my time as a volunteer came to an end in June, I wanted to stay, but I knew I needed an income, now driving and needing gas money.
I walked in on my last day, dreading this day but thinking of the possibilities of working in September again, I turn to my boss to tell her hello and she says, “We would like to offer you a position as a kennel attendant.” This was joy to my ears!
Little by little, my dream will come true.
I begin working great hours in the summer, and continue to work through the school year of at least 10-12 hours a week.
Not only am I considered a kennel attendant, but I participate and complete the tasks of a veterinary assistant.
Knowing I am capable of completing my dream pushes me further and further every day.
Little by little, my dream will come true.
I really despise having the knowledge and skill to be a veterinary assistant now, without school.
I still have to push through schooling, just to get that one piece of paper that declares I am a veterinarian.
I love hearing from my co-workers and boss, you are going to make a great veterinarian some day.
Little by little, my dream will come true.
Having thoughts that I am only one year away now from college, brings me joy.
Having a wonderful place of employment that will offer me Letters of Recommendation for college, drives  me.
Having a wonderful staff and veterinarians that teach me skills of veterinary medicine, inspires me.
My dream is beginning to come true, little by little every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment